Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Laboratories Offering Food Intolerance Testing

Many of you have written me with questions regarding testing for food intolerance. I am listing the web links for the companies I am aware of that offer IgG tests on blood samples. These labs offer panels that test for abnormal levels of IgG antibodies for large number of foods. The testing is done on blood. Some require blood to be drawn from a vein in standard method while some offer a home test kit that employs a simple finger prick sampling returned to the laboratory.

Stool IgA antibody testing is available through Enterolab for a limited number of foods that are commonly implicated in food intolerance. Enterolab offers stool tests for gluten (gliadin, tissue transglutaminase), cow’s milk protein (casein), soy, chicken egg (ovalbumin), and Brewer’s/Baker’s dietary yeast (saccharomyces cerevisiae) by IgA method. The tests are run on stool sample provided at home and returned to Enterolab via an overnight delivery service.
Here are the web sites for the laboratories offering the above tests.

I will review these tests in a future blog. See for more information including online articles.

Copyright ©2006 The Food Doc LLC, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Visit the Virtual Practice of Dr. Scot Lewey on HealthTap